The colour revolution in Venice
Spring in Palazzo Fortuny 5 march - 8 may 2011
Roberta di Camerino, that is the joy of bringing colour back to life, bursts into the labyrinthine spaces of Palazzo Pesaro degli Orfei and ideally meets Mariano Fortuny, a refined and versatile artist, the creator of extraordinary fabrics, who lived here with his wife, Henriette Nigrin, muse and collaborator. Many are the affinities that distinguish the unmistakable style of Roberta di Camerino and Mariano Fortuny, both Venetian, Giuliana by birth and Mariano by adoption, such as the meticulous care for details and finishes, the sophisticated elegance and the constant research for precious colour matches.
Excellent artisans as well as capable business people both chose the Giudecca to set up part of their production: Mariano in 1921 with the construction of the printed-cotton factory 'Società Anonima Fortuny', Giuliana in 1950 with the workshop-school in the 'Zitelle' female Re-education Institute.
Soon after the international success of the Roberta di Camerino brand, the 'Signora' – as she loved to be called – expanded the business by opening shops and workshops in various parts of the world.
The 'total look' idea – from bags to dresses – the trompe-l'œil prints and panel dress became symbols of the creativity of an absolute protagonist of fashion history. After visiting the Revoltella Museum in Trieste, the exhibition 'Roberta di Camerino. La rivoluzione del colore' reached Venice and found a natural setting in Palazzo Fortuny.